After decades of being underrepresented in fashion, the plus-size apparel market is thriving; according to Statista, it’s worth an estimated $24 billion and growing at a rapid pace. With this explosion of demand comes more options, obviously, which means shopping for plus-size fashion is no longer confined to a handful of speciality stores or limited sections within larger department stores. Instead, everyone from retail giants like Nike to fashion-forward labels like Reformation have embraced more inclusive sizing and released freshly imagined collections that speak to a more diverse audience. The issue now is not so much a lack of options, but finding the very best places to shop for plus-size clothing in what’s become a very crowded market.
While everyone will have a different opinion on where to shop, certain retailers stand out for going beyond the ordinary. They offer extremely well-made pieces, with silhouettes that aren’t merely functional but embrace fashion on another level: think gorgeous fabrics, innovative designs and fits that truly work with a woman’s body. As a plus-size fashion influencer, Katrina Nichole is an expert in finding such brands. “I have been a lover of all things fashion since I was a little girl, and have lived in a bigger body my entire life,” she says. “My number one priority when I am shopping is finding clothes that actually fit my ultra-curvy body well and look stylish.”
Her hauls—which she shares on her popular TikTok, YouTube and Instagram accounts—often feature a mix of fashion, from statement looks to everyday essentials to super comfortable fitness gear, which can be tricky to size just right. Her advice: “Take your body measurements and always refer to size guides since every brand is different. I could be a L in tops in one store and a 2X at a different brand.” Ahead, Nichole shares the go-to retailers and labels she likes best, so you can shop and bookmark them. Also look for more buying tips and fashion picks at the end.
Best Plus-Size Jeans
Best Plus-Size Dresses
Best Plus-Size Workout Clothes
Best Plus-Size Swimwear
Best Plus-Size Wardrobe Staples
Best Plus-Size Shopping Tips, According To An Expert
What Fashion Trends Are Worth Following Right Now?
“I love how much fashion and especially plus-size fashion has evolved over the years, and for me shopping is all about finding a balance of clothes that are trendy yet timeless,” says Nichole. “I love elevated athleisure looks and also love wearing neutral pieces where the accessories are the shining stars of the look.”
How Do You Find Well-Fitting Pieces Online When You Can’t Try Things On First?
“Take your body measurements and refer to the size guide on the site,” she says. “This is so key because every brand has vastly different sizing guides. I typically am a size 20 in jeans and XL in tops, but that can range based on the material of the fabric and the brand’s sizing guide. I’d also say understanding fabric materials can be helpful, too. You may be a smaller size in a jersey knit dress and require something larger in a linen dress that has no stretch.”
More Top Picks For Plus-Size Clothing For Women
- Eloquii: Built from the start as a plus-size brand, Eloquii is particularly popular for day-to-night dresses, pencil to peplum skirts, breezy blouses and other wardrobe basics at affordable prices.
- Summersalt: Best known for their swimsuits that fit a range of body types and needs, Summersalt has also expanded into activewear, pajamas and loungewear featuring fun colors and statement-making prints.
- Girlfriend Collective: This sustainably-minded brand has sizes that extend up to 6XL and emphasizes recycled materials in their line of basics that include sweatpants, tops and tees, leggings, lingerie and swimsuits.
- Nike: For sports apparel and athleisure in inclusive sizes, Nike is a favorite among fitness and fashion influencers, especially for leggings and sports bras.
- Athleta: The fitness brand’s 1X-3X collection offers athleisure and workout clothes made from super comfortable, versatile fabrics and fashion-forward designs that look great in the studio and beyond.
Reviving Gerald Genta’s Watch Brand
A Guide For Retail Business Owners
Primark has opened its first store in Romania – Retail Focus